More than 30 years ago, the United Nations General Assembly took an important step in promoting the idea that everyone deserves a decent place to live by declaring the first Monday in October to be World Habitat Day. World Habitat Day provides an opportunity for us to reflect on the state of our towns and cities and the basic right of all to adequate shelter. It is also intended to raise awareness about the housing issues that people face in our community, throughout the country, and around the world.
The theme for this year’s World Habitat Day is “Accelerating urban action for a carbon-free world”. Cities are responsible for some 70 percent of global carbon dioxide emissions with transport, buildings, energy, and waste management accounting for the bulk of urban greenhouse gas emissions.
Since Habitat ReStore is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year, for World Habitat Day we recognize sustainability through the success of our ReStores. Habitat ReStores have not only diverted 950 MILLION pounds of household items and building supplies from landfills in the past thirty years, but also support our mission to help local families build safe and affordable homes in Canada and around the world.
Please join us and take action this World Habitat Day:
- Visit one of our three Habitat for Humanity ReStores, located in Fonthill, St. Catharines and Grimsby and contribute to diverting more waste from landfills by donating to our ReStores while also supporting affordable housing in your community.
- Shop online or in our ReStores. Your support helps us accomplish our mission and create the opportunity for local families to have a better life.
- Volunteer with us. Our ReStores need volunteers to help prepare donated materials and stock the shelves. The time you give helps us to continue to make an impact on the lives of families who need affordable housing.
- Make a tax-deductible donation to Habitat for Humanity Niagara to transform families right here in your community – any gift will help.
- Listen to the podcast I did over the weekend for Niagara Made about housing affordability, Habitat Niagara and how Habitat makes a difference globally.
The future of our planet depends on all of us working together to create sustainable, carbon-neutral, inclusive cities and towns. With your help, we can improve lives and communities here in Niagara and around the world.
CEO, Habitat Niagara