Building Homes. Building Hope. Building Green.
Our homes are living testaments to the transformation of families and communities, stretching far into the future. Through the strength and commitment of individual, corporate and community partnerships, a sense of permanence is enhanced by the way in which we build.
Energy-efficient and environmentally-aware building practices, promoted through our Sustainable Building Program, results in 30 per cent lower energy costs, healthier environments and more sustainable lifestyles. Habitat for Humanity Niagara is a proud Tarion Home Warranty® builder, a registered EnergyStar® builder (since 2008), and a member of the Niagara Home Builders' Association.
Why Build Green?
- Simple energy-efficient improvements can cut costs by over 40% in most affordable housing
- An EnergyStar® qualified new home is 30-40% more energy-efficient than one built to minimum Ontario Building Code standards
- The money that families save on energy can help them pay for food, clothing and other essentials
Energy savings are based on heating, cooling, and hot water energy use and are typically achieved through a combination of the following:
- Building-envelope upgrades
- High-performance windows
- Controlled air infiltration
- Heat-recovery ventilation systems
- Upgraded heating systems
- Tight duct systems
- Upgraded water-heating equipment
- Energy-recovery systems
- Installation of energy-efficient lighting
We seek to be a model green builder in the affordable housing industry, and an advocacy leader in the growing, "green building" movement.